How to Release a Chrome Extension to the Chrome Store

Topic created · 1 Posts · 60 Visualizações
  • Writing a Chrome Extension is pretty easy (getting it in the Chrome Store is much harder!). In this post I describe the steps to release an extension.

I have now released two extensions to the Chrome Store.

Neither went in first try, but both eventually made it after adjusting the description and adding some more screenshots.

I have described the basic process for releasing the extension.

After following this process you may have to refine your entry if it is rejected during the submission process. I’ll describe that process in a later blog.

I have a video showing the full process at the bottom of the post. This text is basically a summary.

You can find the code for both my Chrome Extensions on Github and you’ll see all the images, descriptions and manifest files that I created there if you want to model my final submissions.

Release process summary

Up to date instructions and directions will be on the Chrome Store:

• developer.chrome.com/webstore/publish

• I created an icon in Gimp - 128x128, 48x48, 16x16

• Add icons to the manifest

• Write a description

• Create screenshots for the application of 1280x800 or 640x400

• I created a separate google account because the developer email address needs to be public

• Create a zip file of the extension, I zipped my code so that the manifest was in the root of the zip i.e. not in a subfolder when unzipped

• “Add New Item” from the Chrome Developer Dashboard

• paste in all the descriptions, icons and screenshots

Over the submission process I:

• refined the description
    • added a few more screenshots
    • added a YouTube video showing the plugin in action

Video

I’ve created a video showing this in action.

Watch on YouTube

Code

And you can find the source code on Github.

https://eviltester.com/blog/eviltester/2019/04/02-how-to-release-a-chrome-extension/